Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Grimm Tale


I recieved a Chapters gift certificate and returned from the store with Marilynne Robinson's Gilead. And another book that his been in the back-burner of my mind for some time now. Browsing through the cultural studies section I came across the title The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales (with commentary by Joseph Campbell) and knew I found what I was looking for. The first tale in the book was the Frog King. I had some familiarity with the story and was waiting for the moment when the princess would kiss the frog and turn him back into a prince.

In the story the frog helps recover the princess's favourite toy, a golden ball. The frog does it on condition the the princess will bring him back with her. After the frog retreives the ball the princess backs out on her deal and goes back to her castle. The frog eventually finds his way to the castle and the king makes the princess take him in. The frog keeps demanding more and more from the princess until he asks that he can share the bed with the princess. The frog says, "I am tired and I want to sleep as well as you, lift me up [into your bed] or I will tell your father." And the story follows,

At this she was terribly angry, and took him up and threw him with all her might against the wall. "Now will you be quiet odious frog?"

At this the frog turns into a prince and they get married.

No comments: